Choosing The Right Ergonomic Chair For Your Spine.
Ergonomic chairs are a big thing as of late. This is due to the increased amount of people having to work from home due to the Covid-19 pandemic. This has caused a steep increase in demand for ergonomic chairs. As there are so many ergonomic chairs in the market, how can we possibly choose a suitable one? And why would even need one in the first place?
Firstly, a ergonomic chair is very important in maintain good posture when working at a desk. Most desk/office workers would spend majority of their time sitting down, working at a computer or laptop. This can be detrimental to the spine. Let’s look at the top 3 reasons to get an ergonomic chair.
- Sitting and being stagnant for prolonged hours can cause pressure to build up in the lower back area. Particularly at the pelvis, tailbone and lumbar area. This can cause built up pressure and eventually lead to inflammation in the lower back, causing pain and various other symptoms. Having a proper ergonomic chair with adequate lumbar support can greatly improve the posture while sitting.
- A great ergonomic chair should also provide great support to the neck and middle back area. This is important as a person sits for prolonged period of time, slouching is a common phenomenon. However, when a person slouches for too long, it can then cause discomfort such as pain or stiffness throughout the neck, shoulders and middle back. With an adequate support, you would not have to slouch as you can fully lay back and maintain the neutral position of the neck and middle back.
- Choosing a chair that is fully adjustable is equally as important as well. This depends heavily on the height of the table, chair and computer screen in use. Improper height or ergonomic for long hours can cause strain in the neck and shoulders. Thus, it is important to get a chair that can be
- adjusted to the proper height to match the table and computer screens.
Below is a simple step by step guide on how to select a great ergonomic chair.
- Adjustability: Look for a chair that can be adjusted to fit your body, including height, seat depth, backrest height, and tilt.
- Lumbar support: Choose a chair that provides ample lower back support to help maintain the natural curve of your spine.
- Comfort: Try out chairs before you buy to ensure they’re comfortable and provide adequate cushioning.
- Seat material: Look for a chair with a breathable, durable seat material to reduce heat and moisture buildup.
- Armrests: Consider chairs with adjustable armrests to help reduce strain on your shoulders and neck.
- Swivel base: Choose a chair with a swivel base to allow for easy movement and reduced strain on your back and neck.
- Durability: Look for a chair made with high-quality materials that can withstand daily use.
- Warranty: Choose a chair with a warranty for added peace of mind.
- Budget: Consider your budget when choosing an ergonomic chair, as some models can be quite expensive.
- Consult a professional: If you have a specific condition or need, consider consulting with a chiropractor to find out which chair suits your needs the most.
For more information regarding ergonomic chairs, do not hesitate to reach out to us. We are more than willing to provide a consultation.